A customer experience researcher, innovator, and entrepreneur.
A co-author of the 1970’s breakthrough study of consumer complaint behavior and customer service for the White House Office of Consumer Affairs, John is one of the original trailblazers of the customer experience industry. His contributions to this research overturned conventional wisdom and were instrumental to repositioning customer care as a potential profit center.
Since then, John has “written the book” on the customer experience – literally and figuratively.
Having personally directed some 1,000 customer experience studies for clients worldwide in every conceivable sector, John is an authoritative consultant in the field of customer-driven quality. His first book – Strategic Customer Service – offers a panoramic view of his body of work and presents a proven, practical approach for leveraging the profitability of better customer relationships. It has been translated to multiple languages in both Europe and Asia.
John's second book, Customer Experience 3.0, focuses on why companies need to learn the benefits, pitfalls and best practices of the latest technologies to create a seamless customer experience that will improve your bottom line.
John is an engineer by training. So it’s no surprise that his approach to harnessing the benefits of a better customer experience is powered by his appreciation and skills for measuring and quantifying voice of the customer data. His motto: if you can’t measure it, you can’t improve the management of it.
The key to customer experience success is building a powerful business case for improvement. John has the unique ability to do this by triangulating the traditional disciplines of quality improvement, marketing, market research and service operations. Frank, straightforward and ROI savvy, John helps his clients get past the hype and find the true golden nuggets of a better customer experience. As John is often known to remark in a client briefing, “If you don’t have a headache at the end of this briefing, we haven’t done our job – you’re not working with us to make you feel good, you’re working with us to help you increase profitability.”
A highly sought-after speaker, John routinely shares his customer experience perspective with companies and organizations worldwide. John has spoken in more than 20 countries.
John and his wife Alice reside in Bethesda, Maryland.
- 40 years
- TARP US, Co-founder, President, & Vice Chairman
- TARP Japan, Founder & Managing Director
- Carnegie Mellon, B.S., Chemical Engineering, 1969
- Harvard University Business School, M.B.A., 1971
- Committee Member & Past Board Member, American Society for Quality (ASQ), Service Quality Division
- Member, American Marketing Association (AMA)
- Member, Past Chapter Treasurer, & Past Board Member, Society of Consumer Affairs Professionals (SOCAP)
- Member & Past Board Member, IONA Senior Services Agency
- Board Member, Finance Chairman, Clinic Operations Oversight Committee, Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan Washington